In case you haven’t noticed lately there has been a lot of conversation around men and women in the workplace. Of course the one of the most common topic we hear these days is about income inequality. However underneath this and every other conversation there a very strong undertone, men vs women.
If you dig deeper it’s not so much what is being said, but rather who is saying it and who is not saying it. From our perspective at The Harris Consulting Group, most of the people doing the talking are women. Whether by design, topic or something else, men do not seem to be joining the conversation. When they do join the conversation it feels…well…awkward to say the least. We think this is wrong.
Some might say men are intimidated by women in sales. Others may have you believe men have been litigiously coerced not speak about the differences between men and women in sales.
At The Harris Consulting Group, male owned by the way, we recognize there are distinct differences between men and women in sales. Furthermore we want to encourage the community to discuss these differences in a positive way.
With this in mind, we are not only going to talk the talk, but also walk the walk. Each week we will be surveying women in sales. They will have different levels of experience, be at different stages of their career and life, and come from different industries.
What makes this unique is that all participants will all be asked the same 7 questions. Our hope is that over time gender will disappear with perspective and wisdom rising to the top.
Here are the questions they will be asked:
- How long have you been in sales?
- What was the “aha” moment that helped you decide you wanted to be in sales?
- What’s the single biggest revenue deal you closed?
- What women in sales do you look up to?
- If you could go back and give your post graduate 20-something self-advice about a career in sales, what would that be?
- What advantages do you think women have in sales over men?
- What advice would you give to men about working with women in sales?
Want to be notified when a new part of this series is released? SIGN UP HERE
Follow us on twitter @rharris415